Monday 2 January 2012

3 weeks post suregery

It's been exactly three weeks since I had my gastrectomy, and I'd like to say that things are getting back to normal but it's still much of the same. My incision site has stopped leaking serous fluid (if it doesn't leak out it can build up under the skin and then requires a trip to the doctor to get it drained) and is healing nicely, it still hurts though and often makes sleeping uncomfortable. I am eating pretty well, and usually eat whatever I want (just very slowly in small quantities). I ignored the advice to avoid sugar and had brandy snaps with cream and strawberries last night. I am happy to report that it didn't cause me any pain or dumping symptoms, i think it helps that I make sure I never eat sweet food on an empty tummy (or should I be saying empty intestine?)  Most days I don't get much stomach pain but I quite often feel nauseous after eating, which really sucks. I've found that if I lie down and try to sleep the nausea normally goes away. I am still really tired all the time and have at least two naps during the day. Everyone has told me that I won't feel hungry or have much of an appetite, but I feel the opposite. I don't feel hunger in the traditional sense it's more like my whole body is screaming at me to eat something, it's worse than feeling hungry and I hate it! I find that it's worst in the morning. I've been wondering If I should try having a snack in the night so I don't wake up feeling so awful. I also get headaches, which I presume is from low blood sugar. Another thing I've experienced is an unquenchable thirst, I find myself wanting to drink big glasses of water but can only ever manage small sips or I feel too sick. Most things I've read advise not to drink and eat at the same time but i find that drinking a little while eating helps me chew the food easier. Chewing everything to mush is hard work and a little liquid just helps to get it a bit more mushier, especially if you are eating meat. I'm going to have a cheese burger for dinner tonight so I'll keep you posted on how that goes down, literally.

No comments:

Post a Comment